The Roberts House was built by William Roberts (said to be a notorious pirate) in the early 1700's and occupied for several decades by his descendants. It is a very large house with four stories and has a flat roof graced with a brass-railed widow's walk and four 'towers' at each corner. The House was closed in the 1800's and was recently leased to Steve Horne. The house is sorely in need of repair but has been modernized with electricity.
The door is of solid oak and has no door-knocker at this time (formerly it had a wolf's-head). The first area entered is a wide foyer with a a small table.
To the left are double doors leading into the living room while straight back to the left of the staircase is the door leading into the ballroom; a large, empty room that Steve is thinking of renovating into a bedroom using the plans for R.C.'s bedroom in the Manor.
To the right are the double doors leading to the library. Further back and to the right of the stairs is a hallway leading back to the kitchen and a stairway leading down to the servants quarters and rec room. There once was a formal dining room but that is disappearing with the expansion of the library and kitchen.
Living Room - The living room is very spacious with a large marble fireplace almost directly ahead from the doors. There is a very modern entertainment center with a few chairs scattered about and a couch in front of the fireplace. To the right is a raised alcove-area and in the far left corner is the tower-alcove which is lined with windows. At this time, the room is unfinished.
Ballroom - This s a large room dotted with pillars and currently closed up.
Library/Sitting Room - This room is unfinished but is the one Steve uses the most. The bookshelves are filled with books and there is a computer set up to the left of the door. Off to the immediate right is the raised sitting area with a couch facing the big fireplace.
Kitchen/Dining Area - a very large old-fashioned kitchen with a dining area in the far right alcove, currently being renovated.. The 'tower'-alcove is to the far right and is lined with window-seats with a table which is used as a breakfast-nook.
This area is carved into the side of the cavern below the house, near the ceiling. There are two rooms; a cold storage area and a pantry. Both have been abandoned in favor of the pantry in the basement though some things are still stored there, including canning jars and stone crocks.
To the immediate right of the opening is the bath-house. Carved from the cavern wall, the bath-house is an octagon-shaped room with seats carved in the rock. Water level ranges depending on the tide.
To the immediate left of the opening are netted areas for keeping live lobsters and fish. This area is still used.
Directly ahead is the boating areas, where once smuggled goods were brought in. Boats were once brought in and repaired here also but no longer. Further back is a door with waterproof sealing around the doorframe. Beyond this door is where the smuggled goods were unloaded and kept for further shipment. Another door is across the room, this one locked, bolted and spiked into place. This door leads to the Moore Manor.
Further away and closer to the lake are the closed-up stables.
|This site developed and maintained by Rayhne, copyright 1996-2005.|